Monday, November 22, 2010

Running in the snow and baking power bars

Today, it was snowing. Not enough to be terribly inconvenient, causing multiple accidents on the main roads and forcing me to shovel and curse as I hurl snow off the driveway. Actually, just enough to be a bit pretty out and to cause the neighbor dog to frolic like a nut. Snow frolicking dogs equals a smile on my face.

I did go for my first run post-couch to 5k today. Wiped snow from my eyelashes on occasion, and kept reminding myself to trust my feet (eek! ice!). Overall, it was actually pretty fun if I let myself feel that. Today's "keep running" mantras included, "what's my border collie's name?" See, as part of the next phase of life we will be adding a dog to our family. It will be a Border Collie from a rescue - I'm somewhat a Jack Russel person but my life really isn't. Border Collies are high on my list. So, knowing that my BC will be running with me sometime in the future is keeping my feet moving forward some days.

And of course, since we have decided that we really want a red and white male border collie (pardon the switcheroo capitalization throughout, I like the familiarity of small letters), my old coworker sent me an email today of a lovely black and white female they have up for adoption. Wrong gender, wrong time, we're going to put our house on the market and we have two cats in residence already, etc., etc. But is she cute as pie? Of course she is.

Thank goodness for animals. Small statement to sum up so many things in my life. But, thank goodness for animals.

And power bars - home-made, gluten free power bars which will hopefully propel me through my hikes in Moab later this week and will power my friend through her first mornings back at a previous job. It has been many years since I've cooked quinoa, and the smell of the simmering milk and vanilla and quinoa on the stove made me think that I need to try it for breakfast again sometime soon.

Oh, and I ate a decent lunch today. Hurrah. Small steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment